Being involved in a vehicle accident, no matter how minor, can leave you seriously shaken. When you are in state of shock common sense often goes out of the window and details are easily overlooked or forgotten. Taking the following steps can help ensure a successful insurance claim:
- Stop your vehicle and make sure that everybody involved in the accident is unharmed.
- If anybody has been injured call an ambulance and the police immediately.
- Do not apologise or admit culpability for the accident as it may jeopardise your insurance claim.
- Take down the name, address and insurance details of any third party drivers involved in the accident. Remember that it’s an offence to withhold your contact details if you are involved in a vehicle accident.
- Take down the make, model and registration number of any vehicles involved in the accident.
- Take down the contact details of any onlookers who witnessed the accident.
- Take down the contact details of any police attending the accident.
- Take photos of any damage caused to the vehicles while still at the scene.
- Write a brief description of the accident including time, location, weather conditions and visibility.
- Get in touch with your insurer as soon as possible to explain exactly what’s happened.
Quoteline Direct’s claims line is open around-the-clock on Tel: 0844 888 8444 and our experienced staff are waiting to gather your details and explain exactly ‘what happens next’.
- Once your insurer has agreed to honour the claim you’ll be given a choice of approved repair centres.
- If you would prefer to use a different garage you will normally have to provide a number of written estimates and give your insurer the choice.
- Most insurers will supply a courtesy car while your vehicle is being fixed, provided that you use an approved garage for repairs.
- Policy excess is normally paid to the garage carrying out repairs, and they will bill your insurer for the remainder of the repair costs.
- If it can be established that the accident wasn’t your fault, and the third party is insured, you can normally recover the excess. Obviously it greatly helps if you have purchased additional legal expenses cover.
- If your car has been written off as beyond economical repair your insurer will offer a settlement based on the vehicle’s current market value.
As the insurance marketplace gets increasingly competitive it’s the little things that can really make a big difference. At Quoteline Direct we have a passion for good ‘old fashioned’ customer service and we will aim to help deal with your claim as quickly and painlessly as possible. For a great car insurance deal with great customer service you can trust Quoteline Direct.